Medical Degree: School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Greece
Doctorate: University of Crete, Greece
Subspecialty: Interventional Cardiology – Cardiac Rhythm Management Devices implantation
2020 - Today: Interventional Cardiologist, Mediterranean Hospital of Cyprus
2016 - 2020: Head of the Cardiology services, Mouwasat Hospital, Khobar Saudi Arabia
2000 - 2017: Interventional Cardiologist up to the rank of Director, University Hospital of Heraklion, Greece
1996 - 2000: Cardiologist, Scientific Collaborator University Hospital of Heraklion, Greece
1992 – 1996: Registraar in Cardiology, University Hospital of Heraklion, Greece
• Cardiac catheterization and percutaneous intracoronary interventions (coronary angioplasty, stent implantation)
• Implantation of cardiac rhythm management devices (Pacemakers, defibrillators, cardiac resynchronization devices, cardiac monitors)
• Coronary disease
• Heart failure
• Arterial Hypertension
Research projects and published papers
My research quests included syncope, atrial fibrillation, sleep apnea, pacemaker hemodynamics and myocardial perfusion and neurosis, both clinically and experimentally. I have published 54 papers in peer review journals, with a total impact factor of 368, which received 862 citations (h index 16). The 10 most important are listed below.
1. Simantirakis EN, Schiza SE, Chrysostomakis SI, Chlouverakis GI, Klapsinos NC, Siafakas NM, et al. Atrial overdrive pacing for the obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2005;353(24):2568-77.
2. Chrysostomakis SI, Karalis IK, Simantirakis EN, Koutsopoulos AV, Mavrakis HE, Chlouverakis GI, et al. Angiotensin II type 1 receptor inhibition is associated with reduced tachyarrhythmia-induced ventricular interstitial fibrosis in a goat atrial fibrillation model. Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy. 2007;21(5):357-65.
3. Chrysostomakis SI, Vardas PE. Shocking discrepancies. Europace. 2010;12(8):1055-6.
4. Skalidis EI, Kochiadakis GE, Koukouraki SI, Chrysostomakis SI, Igoumenidis NE, Karkavitsas NS, et al. Myocardial perfusion in patients with permanent ventricular pacing and normal coronary arteries. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;37(1):124-9.
5. Chrysostomakis SI, Simantirakis EN, Marketou ME, Vardas PE. Implantable loop recorder undersensing mimicking complete heart block. Europace. 2002;4(2):211-3.
6. Kochiadakis GE, Skalidis EI, Kalebubas MD, Igoumenidis NE, Chrysostomakis SI, Kanoupakis EM, et al. Effect of acute atrial fibrillation on phasic coronary blood flow pattern and flow reserve in humans. Eur Heart J. 2002;23(9):734-41.
7. Simantirakis EN, Chrysostomakis SI, Marketou ME, Kochiadakis GE, Vardakis KE, Mavrakis HE, et al. Atrial and ventricular refractoriness in paced patients: Circadian variation and its relationship to autonomic nervous system activity. Eur Heart J. 2001;22(23):2192-200.
8. Simantirakis EN, Schiza SI, Marketou ME, Chrysostomakis SI, Chlouverakis GI, Klapsinos NC, et al. Severe bradyarrhythmias in patients with sleep apnoea: The effect of continuous positive airway pressure treatment: A long-term evaluation using an insertable loop recorder. Eur Heart J. 2004;25(12):1070-6.
9. Kochiadakis GE, Chrysostomakis SI, Igoumenidis NE, Skalidis EI, Vardas PE. Anomalous collateral from the coronary artery to the affected lung in a case of congenital absence of the left pulmonary artery: Effect on coronary circulation. Chest. 2002;121(6):2063-6.
10. Fanourgiakis J, Simantirakis E, Maniadakis N, Kourlaba G, Kanoupakis E, Chrysostomakis S, et al. Cost-of-illness study of patients subjected to cardiac rhythm management devices implantation: Results from a single tertiary centre. Europace. 2013;15(3):366-75.
I have published my PhD thesis in 2002 entitled "The circadian variation of the human atrial and ventricular refractory period in paced patients. The role of the fluctuations of the autonomic nervous system and the effect of propaphenone in the electrophysiological properties of the atria and the ventricles" and merited Doctorate from the University of Crete, Greece.
Participation in Medical Societies
Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
Member of the Hellenic Cardiological Society
Member of the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions
Member of the European Heart Rhythm Association
Member of the Working Group of Electrophysiology and Pacing of the HCS
Member of the Working Group of the Interventional Cardiology of the HCS